Monday, October 19, 2009

(10.20) Research ...

More reading today ...

Frustrated with my philosophical progress (in terms of research) I passed over my normal morning study of Hebrew / Greek to take on an organization of philosophy.

Inspired by the Oxford organization of philosophical progress (quite distinct from the Rutgers / Berkley model i've been following), I'm leaning towards beginning with metaphysics - HOWEVER, all of this is resolved when I realize that this is silly when you consider the non-linear presentation on youtube - i.e. it doesn't matter what order because people will pick their own beginning. This is NOT a class - this is a series of videos.

However, since I am working towards a book this is a real question: what makes more sense to study first - metaphysics or epistemology? I've gone at it from every point of view and am subsequently stumped.

So anyways, I"m working on two videos: an introduction to epistemology and an introduction to metaphysics (Ep0.0 and Me0.0 respectively). The problem is that the amount of topics I've discovered through reading to choose from is extraordinary. SO I have to learn what to exclude.

The first video to be made post-intro videos is an introduction to skepticism, as I realize that skepticism is the initial-thrust behind the study of either metaphysics or epistemology.

The first video in epistemology will be a look at the question of knowledge and the traditional view of what knowledge is (true justified belief) - The video will be Ep1.0. From there, I will examine the Gettier problem (- Ep2.0 or Ep1.1) as this represents a substantial skepticism towards the traditional view and hightens the drama of epistemology (for all the nerds out there at least). From there I will look at the essential features of any theory of knowledge - (Ep3.0) belief, truth (Ep4.0) and logic (Ep5.0) . This sets the stage for the classic epistemological crisis - between empiricism and rationalism (Ep6.0). I like this lineage because it moves deftly from the problems of knowledge to contemporary theories, and then from classical theories to the contemporary crisis. All of this leads towards Kant - who posited a very unique and revolutionary epistemology that has become both foundational and problematic in our contemporary setting. I potentially see the synthetic a priori as the starting point for reconfiguring our current world crisis (not just in philosophy but politics as well - I know, sounds crazy).

Metaphysics is more problematic - do I begin with the problems of perception or with the problems of identity (in physical properties or personal identity). Perhaps I should begin with the mind / body problems, and thus begin with Descartes representation of the problem? ...

**

Anyways, not much reading this morning. Just stratagizing. Also dreaming about the new iMac 27 inch display and After Effects ... thinking about uping the anti on my videos ... more to come .

**

Ended up in a discussion about veganism, biology and raw-food diets. I found the differences in human / aminal digestion to be extraordinary. We also emphasised the phenomenological effects of veganism / raw food - i.e. the immediate effect on your sense of well being, energy and ability to take on the world ...

***

No comments:

Post a Comment